As a developer has started his career with a free mod that later released as a paid version, he has an interesting perspective.
“This could be a big surprise to you to hear that I support this policy.
I used to sell Mod once and it caused a lot of people angry. But they get a product with better quality than when it is provided free. ”
Garry’s Mod, famous products of Garry Newman was introduced to the community over 10 years ago and has become one of the symbols for creativity and explore the community of modders. Garry’s Mod later developed into an independent game with a lot of you are paying Mod can own. So perhaps the problem this time was no longer something too strange to Garry Newman.
Not right back where we bring up Steam can create confidence between the two sides: buyers and developers. The fact it is true that it is difficult to convince someone brought up a Mod their Steam, to then lose not 75% of the profits from that product. But we will see whether there is any way to change this problem.
Newman agrees that the accused Revenu section, which provides the modder just cut 25 percent on sales, is not fair, but think it will be better with time, and players still have other options.
Of course Newman was not entirely weighted towards Valve stand in this matter. According to him, the proper analysis is, considering it is a mod for Valve will carry on and the game publishers are more profitable modders themselves who created them.
“I support the idea of selling Mod but also the wrong things. The modder that should be people who get a larger share for this product.
It is true that both Valve and game makers need to make money from these products, at least to cover the costs they incurred to issue and maintain it on your system. But the new modder who created money here.
I do not know who made this idea first, but sounded like a greedy so bad. Hope over time things could be better. “
According to the latest statements on the Steam Workshop, the modder will receive 25% on every dollar brought in from the sale of Mod. The remaining 75% will come from Valve and manufacturers / split release. Furthermore the Mod must sell at least 100 USD, the new Valve making payments for modders.
New modding of Valve program launched Thursday with Skyrim (other supported titles will be announced in the coming weeks), but it has caused a lot of controversy. Many players are saying that Valve is greedy allows modders to sell works that were previously free, and a mod deleted after declaring that it contains the works of other modders.